Monday, December 6, 2010

It's officially crazy-busy season.  I hate that the time when I should be posting most is so busy!  I'm hosting a small holiday party this week, so preparations are being made for that.  It's a combination Fruitcake Bingo and Ugly Sweater party.  I think I invented Fruitcake Bingo.  It's normal bingo, except everyone brings a throwaway gift, re-gift, handmade item, or other "fruitcake" to contribute to the prize pool.  I did not invent Ugly Sweater parties (unfortunately).  Today I went to the thrift store to look for one.  They didn't have any.  I cursed myself for all the times in the past few months I've seen the perfect Christmas-themed, Quacker Factory sweater and didn't buy it.  Bah humbug.  The party's theme somehow evolved into a celebration of all things tacky and deliciously bad.  I *am* making fruitcake (my first attempt ever; I'll let you know how it comes out), as well as chocolate-peppermint brownie bites, mini knishes, and artichoke quiche squares...basically anything that can be stuck with a tasseled red or green toothpick.  :)  Oh, and an amaretto-bourbon punch.  Can't forget that.  I'll update with photos this weekend!

I went on my 3rd annual Christmas tree hunt with my father and step-mother this past weekend.  The weather was chilly, but without the snow or mud of the past years.  I was very strong and settled on a smaller tree to please my housemate, who wanted to be able to reach the top.  It fits our space perfectly and is now adorned with a mishmash of our favorite ornaments. 






















Just kidding!  Neither of us have love for the beer.  Here's our real tree:






















And adorned with my favorite canine, who apparently thought the tree skirt was just for her pleasure:

No comments:

Post a Comment