Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Easter 2011: Lessons Learned the Hard Way

Lest the title alarm you, I actually had a lovely Easter, thanks.  The learning experience went thusly:  After dying a dozen eggs assorted technicolor shades, my housemate and I were left with several cups full of dye.  Not one to be wasteful, I pondered--how could we make use of the leftover dye?  After shooting down my suggestion that we dye her chihuahua blue (hey, food-grade dyes!), I came up with a more sensible option.  We TIE-DYED OUR UNDERWEAR!  Yes, I just screamed that.  Actually, we screamed it in unison, and ran off to our rooms to find underwear in need of overhaul.  It was probably the most fun thing I did all month.  My housemate's two pair of undies came out beatifully, one dyed mint green all over, and the other tie-dyed pink and purple.  I made slightly less attractive pink and white tie-dyed underwear and a matching bandana.  This sounds like a win situation, right?  Well, kind of...as long as we never wanted to *wash* our underthings.  Apparently Easter egg dye is not made for durability.  So, dying clothing with the stuff is now on my no-no list, right after my two other learned-the-hard-way lessons: eating Rice Krispies in front of a fan, and eating Pop Rocks directly in front of a mirror. 

Photographic proof of the tie-dye underwear experience.  I'm nice enough not to post my housemate's underpants!























There was some creative success this Easter.  For the second year in a row I tried my hand at Peepshi, that sub-cultural phenomenon made popular last year by SeriousEats.com .  This year it officially became a family affair!  My cousin Stephanie and I had a ton of fun creating the little sweet treats, and I can't say I didn't get a thrill from playing Frankenstein with marshmallow bunnies and chicks.  Peepshi-making evening was a great excuse to bond with my cousin.  Seeing the look on our family's faces the next day at Easter dinner was pretty entertaining, too.  Behold, my double-decker Peepshi, which Stephanie smartly coined the "missionary roll."


To finish off this irreverent post, may I present you with the Superfluous Donkey:














That's me with bunny ears hair clips, which have most definitely been designed for small children.  I know this because when I walked into a room of friends, they immediately called me a superfluous donkey.  I guess I need bigger ears?  I decided that "superfluous donkey" sounded like a band name, and my friend L declared that Superfluous Donkey *is* a band...a band of one: me.  We decided that when I play gigs I walk on stage (dressed as above) and stand in the corner silently, like a true Superfluous Donkey.  And yes, I'm available for your upcoming bat mitzvah and baby shower.

Happy belated Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment