Friday, December 11, 2009

Recycling Turkeys

That is one of my stranger titles, for sure.  This is quite belated; posting about Turkey Day on Hanukkah is almost unfair (for Hanukkah, not the turkeys).  I thought it was still worth mentioning the ways in which a ten dollar 20+ lb turkey--purchased the day after the holiday--can be cooked and boiled and turned into lots of different things.  It might seem silly to buy a turkey that big for two people.  We certainly can't finish all of it before it'd go bad, so we have to be creative.  *Warning: vegetarians, vegans, and wimpy meat-eaters may want to skip the rest of this paragraph.*  The first thing I did after baking and carving the bird was to dismember the carcass and split it between the roasting pan and a stock pot.  I added an onion and a large garlic clove to each,  and filled the containers up with water.  I sprinkled liberal amounts of bouquet garni seasonings and pepper on top.  Then I let them boil for a very, very long time until the turkey remants were a jumbled mess and the liquid had reduced substantially.  Finally, I added salt to taste, strained the stock, and poured it into containers to freeze.



I used some of the stock to make a turkey soup with the leftover meat.  I worked with a very simple Martha Stewart recipe and revised it to work for what I had in the kitchen.  I simply let the stock simmer, and added chopped cooked turkey, egg noodles, and diced carrots.  It made a satisfying and turkey-rich soup, perfect for warming cold hands and fogging up glasses!  (I admit, that warm hands and foggy glasses thing is not completely accurate.  If I recall, the day after Turkey Day was perfectly nice.  It's right now, December 12th, that's so darn cold!)

No comments:

Post a Comment