Sunday, September 19, 2010

Apple Picking!

Apple-picking time came early this year for those who like macs.  Last week Beth and I ventured out to a nearby pick-your-own farm so that I could gather a half bushel for various baking and saucing purposes.






















The six rows of trees were absolutely bursting with apples and there were tons on the ground, to the point where we had to watch our step or risk turning an ankle.  The fruit still on the trees were large and clustered together like big bunches of grapes.  Behold, the glorious apple:






















It was a good day for being outside, sunny and just barely cool.






















I'm a little overwhelmed by the quantity of apples in my house!  A half bushel is bigger than it seems.  I've already used three in two loaves of apple bread and gave eight or ten away to my father so that my step-mother can make a batch of applesauce.  I will eventually make pies.  It seems like every day is so full (mostly with cooking) that pie-making is getting pushed back.






















Thanks again to Beth for the great photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment