Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Gift-Giving Ideas

So I've been thinking about ways to continue the tradition of gift-giving while working to reduce waste and pointless spending.  I think this boils down to two things--giving people things that are useful and making sure those things are relatively light on resources and supporting small businesses.  This is just an extension of the way I'd like to live in general, being aware of the implications my actions have on those around me (and especially those who aren't).  For the record, I think buying and owning things for beauty's sake is worthwhile.  I consider aesthetics and art a necessity in my life; it keeps me going and makes every day a little more exciting!  I just don't want to go overboard with STUFF. 

The first things that comes to mind, of course, is making gifts for people.  But I've been there, done that.  I bet you've been there, done that, too.  So, with all these things in mind, I decided it would be awesome to try buying gifts for people exclusively from Etsy, at least for one holiday season.  Etsy.com is a combination of handmade, artisan goods and vintage items.  The breadth of goods offered is huge, which means, I bet, that everyone on your list can get something truly unique and personal.  The price is right on most things, too.  Etsy may be a good alternative this year, especially if your friends and family are starting to look pained upon receiving their sixth year of home-canned apple butter or matching crocheted trivets.  Just sayin'.

Without further ado, here are 10 amazing items I found on Etsy.  All of the sellers listed below had other awesome stuff, too.  I could wade through their listings for hours!

Vintage glass owl paperweight
Glass acorn necklace
Frida Kahlo chihuahua tea time print
A pretty vintage spoon necklace for the Spoonie in your life
Poppy oilcloth pocket mirror
Cabochons, for making your own jewelry or crafts
Reclaimed agate and rhinestone necklace
French cinnamon almond nougat bar
Vintage magnetic spice rack
Crocheted Hot Beverage Sleeves

Where else would you look to for more eco- and wallet-friendly gifts?

P.S. - Have I mentioned I'm not actually doing the all-Etsy thing this year?  It's not for lack of interest, it's just that I started buying gifts for people months ago, and I'm an all-or-nothing kind of gal. 

P.P.S. - Only yours truly would be listening to Christmas carols on this 106th day before Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment