Sunday, September 12, 2010

Halloween Costume Ideas

I'm always so delinquent at getting together Halloween costumes.  I always have tons of ideas but some combination of not enough money, not enough time, or not enough energy.  My hope is that having two out of three will be good enough this year!  So I've been keeping a mental list of costume ideas for several months.  This is a dangerous thing to do because my memory is quite poor.  Here's hoping that I'm not forgetting anything:

Mary Poppins - A good choice, obviously.  The hair would be easy-peasy, but the costume would take more than a few spoonfuls of sugar to do well!  The huge plus of this costume idea is that I can pull off a pretty good Julie Andrews musical number AND I'd get to use a fake British accent.

Naughty Secretary - Perhaps overplayed, and might go over the heads of some, given that a true naughty secretary isn't very suggestively dressed.  I pretty much have the individual pieces of this costume already; I only need to buy a couple of hair clips.

Skunk - As in the skunk girls from the movie Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains.  The costume part would be easy.  I probably already have the different pieces.  The hair would be a serious commitment...and might be a good excuse to go black again, with a big white "skunk" stripe.  But I refuse to give myself a mullet!  A faux-hawk pompadour should do the trick.  Again, this costume is likely to go over the heads of pretty much everyone I encounter on Halloween.  Is it worth the trouble then?  The skunk link takes you to an awesome feminist critique of the film, and further down the page there are other exciting blog entries, most notably of Lora Logic and X-Ray Spex!

Pippi Longstocking  - If I can convince gravity to let me braid my hair in two plaits and have them stick straight out on either side of my head, I'm good.  I already have stripey knee socks and boots.  The simple shift could probably be pieced together from a couple different thrift store sheets or t-shirts.  All I know is that it'd be fun to let my inner Little Princess out!

Julia Child - Yay for another British accent opportunity!  This is another costume wherein I already have what I need, minus a rubber chicken, perhaps.  I would definitely need to walk around carrying a chicken or a rolling pin.  The only problem here is the hair.  I have a big head and lots of hair, so I'm afraid that even a decent wig would look ridiculous on me.  Plus wigs are super expensive.

Now here's the real problem with most of these: Whatever I dress up as, I have to be a FAT version of the person.  It's frustrating having almost no recognizable plus-sized celebrities or film characters who are shaped like me.  I don't like feeling as though I'm an inauthentic version of the real thing just because of my size.  I love Halloween, but I hate being reminded of the lack of visibility for fat folks every year!  I mean really...how many times can a fat gal go out trick-or-treating as Tracy Turnblad?

I am so open to suggestions here.  I'm a terrible decision-maker, especially when I have some really good--albeit skinny--options!

Maybe I should just take a lesson from the sweetest, most adorable dog in the whole wide world, Lovey, and dress up as a cute crustacean:

















They've gotta have that in my size, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment